- “The Earth After Us” – Humanity in Deep Time
- Boston, City of Other People’s Bad Memories
- Plug For “Let’s See This Work – An Engineer At the Movies”
- How Did Wind Get So Cheap?
- The Auto Industry Does Its Bit
- When Modeling Goes Bad – “Weapons of Math Destruction”
- Weaponized Psychology Helped Elect Trump
- The Winningest SF Authors Are Women
- Assange is Winning
- Best Demos Ever
Tag Archives: hypatia
What modern city would match Hypatia‘s Alexandria? Not in the sense of being filled with murderous mobs, of course, but in terms of being a main repository of knowledge.
The movie Agora mentioned in the previous post got me interested in the actual Hypatia, so I picked up “Hypatia of Alexandria, Mathematician and Martyr” by Michael B. Deakin (2007). It discusses the little that is actually known about her, … Continue reading
… unless you live in an ultra-blue city. They are Creation, about what made Darwin finish “On the Origin of Species”, and Agora, about the tragic end of the one of the last great intellectuals of the Classical era, Hypatia of … Continue reading